Posts by Nekomata#II

Hi there, I had some time in the past few days, so I wrote a little "fanfiction" taking inspiration from our realm and the people I have met playing Arkheim.

And i decided to share it with you guys here as well.

Hopefully some of you will find it fun to read, I enjoyed writing it a lot. All characters are fictional even if they are based at least partially on some real people, so don't go read too much into it.

The Cruel Queen, chapter 1.pdf

Thank you to anyone that took the time to read this.

I will likely try to continue it in the future.

there is only one reason the CoA "failed" to stop Murx, it's literally impossible to stop player swapping, there is nothing u can do about it. it's an uncountable mechanic that can only be partially opposed by doing the same, which we decided not to do in the CoA.

And even if we decided to do that they could have simply kept jumping around making it almost impossible to follow them.

i already shared my negative view of this mechanic in another post, but this is the reason it's so annoying, even if it does have it's drawbacks it's flexibility it's insane.

on a side note the CoA decided that we didn't want to keep it alive on i4 cuz it would have been very not fun for the server, the system we had in place was pretty effective to counter personal attrition inside of it so that wouldn't have been a major problem. If the goal was simply to contain Murx again it was very doable within the first 2 weeks and then decide what to do about EG.

(i don't speak Russian so i have no idea what the original post says so i'm simply answering Violet's post)

i do agree that most rankings are pretty much insignificant.

There have been a lot of opinions and discussions about the CoA so this report wants to give an insight into it from our realm prospective.

Being a friendly realm we had positive relations with a lot of other realms, mainly Obathis and RON, from the beginning so we weren't surprised when RON asked us if we were interested in a coalition for i3 to stop the giant evil lurking in the server, Murx!

Honestly we knew from the beginning of the server Murx was gonna be Murx again and steamroll through everything, it was an inevitability already.

As it's probably known the idea of the coalition started from RON, so we all got invited into a new disc server and started brainstorming.

Ofc the moment Obathis arrived in the server Sirona started bombarding us with awesome memes like this one:

So in short, it was a great start.

One at the time we all arrived in that chat and started discussing what was gonna be our plan regarding ascension to i3, we had a couple of days so we had time, and we all based everything on this beautiful relic from last server but still very useful since the system did not change.

But while we started to talk about it became clear it was gonna be very hard to have a chat with so many voices, we were around 20 or more people from 6 realms:

Ancients, Arkadia, Dreca, Obathis, RON and Silver Vales.

So there was the first proposal to establish order in all this chaos:

At that point we started working on the structure of the coalition, which was gonna be called the Coalition of Arkheim, or CoA from short, i'm still not sure who came up with it but i thought it was cheeky enough to be a great name.

Sylania and me took the job of writing the Terms of Service of the CoA based on everything that was written in chat, ofc it's impossible to share everything, but we did have multiple walls of text about this and more. The representative system that arkadia first brought up was later reworked into the "speakers" system and it probably the reason we managed to achieve cooperation between everyone and not implode in the first week.

A Speaker was then brought forward from each of the 6 and the first council of the speakers took place, where we all finally voted on the last draft of the ToS, which is will share: ToS CoA.pdf

After laying down the base of the CoA we started to work on the plan, ascension day was coming and we weren't sure what was the best strategy, and to make matter worse it seemed like the first 2 spots of ascension were gonna be blocked off cuz of a bug, luckily the dev team corrected this in time for ascension.

In the end we decided to divide us in 2 groups the first one would rush ascension gate and the second would wait and watch Murx's moves and then start ascension after them.

In the end it worked pretty well, Murx ended up in a perfect spot for our containment plan. We basically were copying their TITANS measures from last server, only with x6 number of warlords. And then after finishing ascension and putting down the first few circles of tower the plan started.

( a first plan on the containment system, with red circles to mark portal placement for a first outer wall)

It was pretty straight forward and there is a post about it here that is very detailed: Arkheim in Flames | War-Report

Honestly nobody expected their following move, their escape to i2, it really surprised us. Nobody really thought a whole realm could escape like that.

We were really baffled by it, but we knew they were gonna come back as soon as they could so we started to make plans for that.

There was also a few ideas to follow them there with a few strong players to keep them on i2 but it wasn't an idea we liked, felt a little too abusive.

At that point the focus became consolidate our positions on i3 and gather the orbs for ascension, it was then that what i personally think was the most funny event of the server took place.

Sylania, my co-leader of SV, went to Dark Judges asking for their orbs, in reality there was no way we were ever gonna attack DJ, there were far and had portal set up, we had other plans, it was more something like "maybe it can work?" "why not try it" in our minds, but i can understand they felt threatened enough to go to war with the CoA. Still, i find it very funny since it was Sylania that caused this, and for those who don't know her she's one of the most amicable and kind leaders in this game, but now she will forever be known as Sylania the Cruel! hahahahahahahhah

So the war started! But not only there! Cookie Monster and FnF attacked Obathis, GG was already fighting with Arkadia, and later Water Dancers broke their NAP with us and attacked us (we signed a NAP at the beginning of i3 with the possibility to break it with a 24h truce, which is how the broke it with us).

Our problem was how far the other realms of the CoA were, so we lost a lot of territory in the beginning, mainly because DJ had a portal near our north border that we ironically decided at the time to leave be to avoid war. xD

WD in white and DJ is red pushing toward our Ark:

In the mean time Murx managed to ascend, we did have a few plans but in reality there were too far from us to actually do something directly:

At that point SV was very weak, we lost a lot of power defending against 2 realms, RON did propose to swap some weaker players of ours for some strong of them to help us out, but since i really don't like players swapping, i kind of stopped that myself from happening.

So another plan was made, create a safe zone for us and Obathis in another realm territory and used that to store enough orbs to ascend. Which we later did and worked pretty well.

Even if it seemed like there was a lot of fighting everywhere in reality the only real losses for the CoA were ours.

In the end after a few attempts Ancients managed to set up a portal near DJ and together with Arkadia stopped DJ advance, thxs to that we finally managed to push back WD on the other front, and then sign a NAP with them leaving us free to ascend.

In the beginning of i3 it was pretty unclear how the CoA would transition to i4, but in the end we all agreed that we wanted i4 to be a Free For All. Even if ofc some friendly relations were kept even after i3, especially since some of them were not only because of the CoA itself.

I know from how i told it it seems and easy thing, but a thing people really underestimated how messy and chaotic a chat with 6 realms can be, especially since not everyone loved each other. There were a lot of tense moments xD

A lot of people outside, and even inside the CoA, did think it was a bit overkill. Honestly i'm not sure, it's true that in a direct confrontation 6v1 is overkill, but in our mind this was not gonna be an easy war, we were expecting to have to keep fighting them for a long time, in which case a security net was needed to assure the realms on the front line that they weren't gonna be stabbed in the back by some other realms that might want to simply take advantage of the situation or decided to ally them self with Murx.

i think it was a very interesting and fun experience for all involved, i personally enjoyed it a lot, but i am a big fan of diplomacy so i found myself right at home.

So in the end i think the main question that remained is this one:

-Did we achieve our goal?

I think that yes, we did, i think that we did everything that was doable to contain Murx, it was simply impossible to do more without going really overboard. Especially since DJ decided to go for that weird realm switch deal.

Ofc Murx's players are insane so even with all the drawbacks we gave them they still managed to out scale all of us, but think of how much they would be ahead if we did nothing. The CoA was meant to contain Murx, and we did, in a way i think the old Murx is no more, only it's spirit lived on through other realms and became the Dark Murx we now know.

And to close it off i will give a really big thxs to Sirona and Obathis for their constant stream of memes that brought joy to our days in the CoA, and for letting me use a couple of them in this post, so i will end with a meme i think it's appropriate.

(P.S: english is not my main language so pls forgive me if i made some mistakes or wrote weird sentences, i will try to correct them if i spot them ^^)

Personally i don't feel it too unfair, sure it does give a pretty huge advantage, but as was said it's not an easy strategy that everyone can use it. This strategy need a lot effort from the player that want to use it, so it feels right for them to gain an advantage from it. Ofc the numbers should be tweaked a little to make it less efficient which would be nice.

Also just so we are on the same page this is nothing new, this strategy was already being used last server. Maybe by less people since it was (maybe) new, idk.

Honestly removing it as an option feels like more nerfs to high activity players, toning it down could be make it more fair, still need a lot of effort and the advantage is there but not as big.

Personally i think there are 2 separate issues, the first one is a balance one, right now it's impossible to win by ascension on the final island, this is caused by a number or reasons, on top of the list there is the number of realms on i4 and the 36h unbroken timer. but these things can be balanced with tweaks to the numbers.

The second issue for me is a gameplay related one, eternal ascension or not endgame still feels very swallow to me, when we read the announcement for the new endgame last server we were all pretty excited, and the part on the pvp side is pretty cool, unlimited conquers i mean, but the fallen part is really boring, there really should be more to do with them then simply send them in mass to the EG.

Personally i would welcome some PVE options on the map related to fallens/demons that are congruent with the theme of the eternal light, the first time i read the endgame eternal light post last server i was thinking how cool it would be to have demon actually flooding from the gate and dungeon and invading the map. (And i still think that.)

Right now it's basically the same as a normal island with a few small additions, endgame should feel special, realms should feel the need to escape by ascending, i like the idea of survival through ascension and i think it would be interesting to go a little in that direction. I mean, the lore of the game is based on it so i don't see why not lean into it.

I've already talked about this a bit here and there but i wanted to write down a comprensive post on my thoughts on this matter. :/

From the events that took place on i3 what was most discussed about it was the creation of the CoA and the limitations on the numbers of warlords a realm has.

But i mostly looked with "horror" at the "abuse" of the swapping mechanics from Murx, i will say that on a strategic standpoint it was a great move, it was forced on them in the beginning by us and i agree that they didn't really have a choice if they wanted to keep playing.

Using an inactive realm as an emergency exit to a lower island still has some pretty heavy drawbacks so i will accept that.

But that is pretty different from what happened later, realm swapping began being used as a tool of war. And it's a great tool, especially in coalitions/alliances.

So why am i against using it this way?

Because it's something that's so hard to balance, it's a mechanic that must remain almost exactly as it is for the majority of players to use it as it was intended to. If this tool is abused the devs would be forced to change it and severely limit its uses and thus harm the population of the server that actually uses it and needs it for it's intended use.

I'm using the assumption that this tool was not intended to use this way, since, in my opinion, it goes against one the main point of the game; "Transparency".

It's very hard to track players movements between realms, and require one to remember all people that were part of which realm, which is just insane to force on players to do to, especially since there is no real way to track diplomatic relations between realms, so u would need to do it for ALL realms to be sure.

Why did i start by saying i looked with "horror" at this? Cuz i REALLY didn't like how much this was displayed and showed in all it's usefulness.

I heard people saying that it's not the first time it happened, i'm not all knowing, the only other example i remember seeing was TITANS on i4 last server, but that was just a mess. It was nowhere near what Murx showed us.

So what will happen now? Will Realms start preparing for next server with the intend to use this mechanic to their advantage? The objective answer would be "Sure!", make 2 realms and use the second one as a refill during wars or an escape hatch, u don't even need to make it full, just have enough to have majority and u'll always have control over it. The idea of wing realms is not new, it's something that is already seen everywhere, to some extend also last server the Russians had their own wings. They for sure have their own story that i don't know nor i want to investigate right now.

I just wanted to make some examples, the flexibility and possibile applications are insane.

So why am i against it? it is simply a "transparency" or "balance" issue?

Not really, sure those issue are important for me from a gameplay standpoint, but they are not my main issue, i simply think it's bad narrative. lol.

This servers are stories to me, the stories of players coming together as a Realm, and then trying to climb thought blood and sweat to the top, Realm identity is very important to me. It would be like keeping swapping the protagonists of different books between them.

There is also for me a "lore" discontinuity, because yes, there is lore, it's part of the story, but what sense does it make that villages in different Arks keep switching around all the time? It's a mechanic that's "outside" of the game, since it's needed for a multiplayer game like this since there is the need for replacements and realms can be mixed around from necessity since realms can quite often "die".

I'm not the best at explaining what i mean, and since it's mainly a "feeling" it's even harder. So i will take the example of i3 and ask a question; what is Murx's narrative? What story are we able to write about this? The first part is great and well written down in the amazing post by Twelve, (honestly it's an amazing read). Then the Great Escape i can understand and i will skip it, but then what happened, they got back on i3 and what? their villages went around the map to allies? and then crossed the entire island to swap places with other villages on another Ark??? What even is Murx at this point? One could say they are no more.

Then again, i realise i might have a different view about the game, in the end i'm here talking all about stories and lore xD i get that others might not understand my point of view since they are only here to compete and see only numbers, and there is nothing wrong with it. but it's not what i see and i wanted to share it.

"Did u know that Whales are Silver?" - Anonymous. :S

P.S: i understand i wrote a whole lot and english is not my main language so thxs to anyone that decided to stick with me and read this to the end. and hopefully not destroy me in the comments below :D jk any comment is welcome. also i want to apologie if it seems like i hate Murx or have something against them, cuz i truly don't, i respect them a lot for their contributions to the game and their sheer dominance of the game mechanics :love:.

On a side note i would add that might be cool to have the introduction of a mechanics that lets to "descend" as realm to a below island, ofc would need to have some heavy requirements and drawbacks attached but still. Also this subject is very wide so even if i wrote a lot i had to cut down quite some stuff to not make it insanely long, i will gladly discuss it further with anyone interested. ;)

Your post is very helpfull Twelve to give us a window on what happened inside the top 1 realm. Thank you.

First thing i would like to point out is that u are the only realm to actually have so many duals, pretty sure there were some random duos here and there but no other realm was as organised as yours. Almost every other realm was filled by random people, sure a lot of them have some small groups of players that knew each other but it's not as impactfull overall. (I think expections might be original TITANS and Soviets but i'm almost certain duos were rare even there)

My point is that Murx was on a different level then every other realm, a little by coordination but mostly economy. Sure there were players in other realms that were at your level or close but they were a couple for realm at most.

So most people (expect TITANS ofc, and maybe SU but they didn't do anything in the end) just wanted to play the game and ignore you, which is what happened on i5 in my opinion, we played our game and u guys played yours.

I had the pleasure of fighting a week long war on i5 againts Soviets, with Arky's help in the second half. It was exausting, both them and us barely slept because night attacks are real and if u don-t keep an eye out (expecially in endgame) u can lose all your towers by the time u wake up.

The result of the war was 3 realms tired and sleep deprived which resulted in a table discussion that decided ascension order so we could all go get some sleep.

Sure the problem is probably that nobody else was as competiteve as Murx.

I don't know how i would fix this but wars on i5 were too brutal in my opinion. The mechanics of clashing armies againts each other until someone finishes reserves is tiring, also two realms with strong economy can keep at it for a long long time, plus the fact that defending is much cheaper than attacking means that even if u are losing the attacker still needs use a whole lot more then u to gain something. The balance just seems off.

And to highlight again what has been sad all server long: the gain of wars are extremely low unless u are fighting a enemy significantly weaken then u, and even then it's not that u gain much, u just don't lose as many resorces while fighting as u would do againts a same level opponent.

The main things i liked about wars is the importance of strategy and portals, the feeling of being able to come up with a strategy and coordinating your realm around it and making it work is pretty rewarding.

Also diplomacy. I think diplomacy was the aspect of the game i enjoyed the most, but i will say that it has less to do with the game itself and more with the community playing it. Having to talk with other realm to coordinate a joint operation or to agree and NAPs or similar treaty was very fun and interesting. Also the vote feature in realms is great to undestand what your realms wants to do so u can adapt to that.

One thing that i think needs to be changed is the expelling players in endgame, i can agree on not letting anybody join but u should still be able to vote people out, i speak from personal experience, we had a player that right before endgame started to go crazy and might have dragged us in a war because of this actions if we didn't manage to kick in merely minutes before the timer for endgame finished. Sometimes expecially with realms with random players if u have a player that goes crazy in endgame u should still be able to kick him and not be dragged down by him.

On another matter i would say that the endgame as whole was unbalanced and just felt wrong. A fix i would like very much is a more important role for PvE, one of the main thing i was hoping for late game was that "demons" would actually roam the lands and go around realms causing chaos. In general more PvE elements would make it easier to gain fallens and less boring to play the game when there is not a war to fight.

I just have one important question, where is the eternal gate of final island? maybe it's just shy? :3

this endgame seems pretty simple for now, is there any intention to add more depth to demons in the future? cuz right now they seems rather unimpressive.

to add some interesting pve to endgame cuz demons roaming around could be pretty fun to have.

Honestly i would love to feed the chickens, but i think that it would be best if the rankings are based how much fat your chickens are, who cares about balls.

honestly i think the teaser is pretty clear on what to expect, sure we don't know the exact numbers nor how fallen combat works exatly but imo it paints a pretty clear picture.

i don't think that's true, if u manage to conquer/destroy enough enemy towers u will hinder them greatly, in the end this is a race. who can reach the last island fastest. the point of PvP is to slow down your enemies. it's jsut really hard to do it effectivly.

Honestly one of they main reason i got engaged with this game was the lore that was explained in the introduction video, in my personal opinion it would be nice to have some lore related event or random information pop up every now and then to deepen our emotional connection with the game world. :3