Balancing - Innovation - Feedback

• Balancing

First of all I want to mention that last server I've seen so called "top realms" using Supreme Equalizer and SC to clean gobo camps - multiple times. Anyone who does not comprehend how insanely inefficient that is can probably just skip the first part of this thread.

At the moment there are 4 units that nobody should build. I know, many people will still build them because they don't know better but from a neutral efficiencypoint of view it does not make sense to build them - at all.

The 4 units I am speaking of are:
    Dwarves: SE and BB

Elves: SC and SP

The perfect thing about our balancing idea is that with a little twist all 4 of those units suddenly become viable to build again.

Give SE and SP (the most expensive, slow to build units in the game) the +50% defense trait.

Why is that such a revelation, such a good idea?

Because with one little change (both t3 artillery gain +50% defense bonus) we fix all our 4 problems. If SE and SP suddenly become viable to build that would make SC and BB FAR better as well. In my humble opinion that is such an elegant solution to the problem.. And the best thing is because island3 hasn't started yet they can make the change right now. That way they can receive feedback the very next month and dont need to wait another year to figure out how to better balance their units.

Innovation

There are a ton of 'things' and mechanics that could be polished, made more userfriendly or could be improved in general.

First of all we feel that the whole tower-mechanic has lots of untapped potential.

Let's take island2 as an example. The towers start with lvl 3. Lvl 6 unlocks that the influence generated becomes x1,5times stronger. Lvl 7 unlocks +1 radius and lvl 8 unlocks that the tower now starts to generate ark power.

Suddenly you have an incentive to upgrade the towers ON THE BORDER, something that never happens right now. And this incentive (every realm can decide for themselves if the benefits outstrip the risks) will lead to more raids. Now the big towers with 1k orbs and more are suddenly in striking distance... And the best thing, you don't force anyone to do PVP, you just offer an incentive. You generated additional options that everyone can evaluate for themselves.

Secondly let's take a closer look why no decent realm (not even the warhungry Russians) did PVP on island 1.

Everyone who actually played the first 2 weeks (seriously) knows the answer to that, but I'll spill it out for you:
    Because there was not enough incentive to do so.

First you imprison us on island 1 in an attempt to force us to fight - and still nobody did it. Curious, isn't it?

Imagine you'd have added a single mechanic:

https://gyazo.com/15a1735ba5456785cd2857975eaa1dd2

This tower with 9 orbs on the screenshot. Nobody would even raid that one because.. what for, for 9 orbs? That's not even worth the effort it takes to click the mouse buttons. But what if you change the rules...?

Three possibilities, all of them could be implemented together but even one of those ideas would make the game better:

1. The raided tower gets all its supplies emptied and the successful attacker gains them.

That way losses and gains are distributed over the whole realm and are shared.

2. The raided tower loses it's current level and gets reduced to the lvl before that. (from lvl 7 to lvl 6 for example) and the donated res for that level are gone and the attacking realm gains them (eg if 6->7 costs 500k iron and 250k wood, then everyone in the attacking realm gains 33k iron and 16k wood).

3. The raided tower not only loses a level itself, but the controlled supplies also lose 1 lvl each. The donated ress are again distributed to the successful attacker's alliance.

THOSE are incentives. I guarantee you that this will increase PVP. Suddenly it has an advantage to attack your neighbour.. alliances become more important, attacks become more meaningful, it would benefit the game as a whole because there are dozens of additional strategic options.

One restriction is needed though, to prevent "friendly pushing".. Only 3 towers can be 'destroyed/reduced' each 24h.

Feedback

The idea behind the moonphase was that realms stay competitive. The hope was - if I understood correctly - that the midtier-realms can compete with the godtier-realms. Obviously that whole notion is flawed to begin with, because there is a reason that top-realms are top realms and midtier-realms are midtier. Changing the rules doesn't change the effort, activity and brainpower certain alliances are willing to invest that others are not.

Now.. look what happened today on island2. Because everyone ascended at the same time we now have some lowtier and a few midtier realms next to us. Yes, that was not by accident, we manipulated the situation in our favor, but that's exactly my problem. You cannot demand that we play bad on purpose to make it "more exciting" for us and the others.

Speaking about how much effort the realms are willing to invest. ~13 people met up at 8pm in the voice-chat on Discord and we began to make a list in a google-sheet:

https://gyazo.com/67c82e9ece484a01af4bc4c9bc52abb9

That way we were able to track where which alliance will spawn and thus were able to pick our favorite spot. I am not sure if you are aware how many hours we invested to have a good position for island2. Especially because we messed it up so so hard for island1. And then, what happened on ascension-day? One bug after the next. Some realms were teleported to island3, some stayed at island1, the order of ascension was messed up because of that, and a lot of our planning was wasted. That's not even my point, my point is, just because we weren't able to push our production for 11 days does not make us equal with a midtier or lowtier realm. Even if we had the same amount of troops, we would still be in another league.

You have achieved exactly the opposite of what your goal was with his moonphase. Every single player in MURX could have told you that on day one.

Now we are considering to destroy those realms to make a point, if they leave Arkheim forever you might understand the point we were trying to make from the start. I just hope they can check a box "we leave Arkheim because of ... [x] we spawned next to Murx"

Seriously, let the fast realms ascend earlier than the slow ones, you are shooting yourself in your own freaking foot if you don't listen to players who actually play and understand the game.

• +1

also the building cap removed so much decisions and makes it way more p2w.

Now ppl that invest much, had 400k/h production at day 1 in moonphase 2. Now, 4 later i doubt that many ppl even have 400k/h.

This wasn't a problem last round because ressources were a limit but now only building time is the only limit, because every (smart) player went to island 2 with ~ 5m ressources saved up.

I really liked the ressources were a bottleneck and you had to think about where to use it. Now with being capped all day long it's only a matter of time(or money).

If you ask our realm about an opinion you get normally like 5 different answers which is usually a good thing, but as soon as you get the same answer from everyone it's most of the time a bad thing, because it's either shit, or way to OP.

• Hello Twelve,

first of all, thank you for your feedback!

Balancing is always a topic which has many facets.
    Cost&time efficiency is, of course, a very important one for a unit, but its not the only one. Our goal is that for every unit there is a valid reason to build them. With SE/SC/SP you picked now the late-game / most expensive units.
    Those units provide especially the most Fightingpower per unit. This alone is already a strong motivator for building them. So there should be a job for them in your important battles.

If they would be additional also a very cost & time efficient unit, then there is no reason to use/build anything else after unlocking them.

Also, we have some concerns about the proposed 50% defence bonus. Currently, we have the feeling the defence abilities are already quite strong in Arkheim. Strengthen the defence, even more, would make it more unlikely that you initiate an attack to enemies with similar strength, making meaningful pvp more unlikely. So we want to see the results of the current round to see if those units need to be further improved for the next round.

To be honest: Tower upgrades are something we are having already on our list for a longer time.

One of the first things we thought about was increasing the tower range. But this has, unfortunately, some problems.On the one side, you would constantly need to replace your towers to optimize them. We fear this is some quite annoying & tedious grunt work to do. On the other side also the area of influence (which is already quite big currently) will increase dramatically, increasing the already quite strong snowballing effect of the area. So we see the increasing range effect really problematic.

But there is nothing against an increase of influence strength of a tower on our side. We also can think about several other boni which are unlocked on certain levels & are highly welcoming every idea here.

Raiding Towers for resources on the other side is something we actively decided against it, because that would be a major step backwards in our opinion. This would create again the need to microfarm all opponents smaller than you constantly. So it will decrease meaningful PvP and just create tedious grunt work, farming small realms out of the game.

So we are thinking more about additional incentives except resource stealing to encourage more meaningful PvP.
    Maybe you are right, that there is still not enough incentives for meaningful PvP. We have to observe the game world closely and see and analyse why the Soul Forge could not fix the problem.

The introduction of the Moon Phases had different reasons. But making mid-tier realms compete with god-tier realms was not on our list. We know, you guys are just better and the Ascension system was our tool to introduce some kind of matchmaking. Those were the main reasons we had in mind for the Moon Phase restrictions:

- Limit p2w by limiting the runaway of players who extensively buy building time and run away by this. We saw this mainly by resource fields and resource bonus buildings in the last rounds

- Encourage PvP early on: Being able to always invest resources in higher building levels, was a problem for PvP in the last round. When you built too many PvP units, those resources were missing in developing your town (especially upgrading resource fields)

- Limit very boring and one-sided gameplay - like only upgrading resource fields

But we clearly see now that we have overdone the limitations. We think the main problem here is that the first Islands lasts too long and this makes all limitations set there too strict (building levels, Supply levels, conquering restriction & a late introduction of the Soul Forge). Also, we will adjust the number of required Orbs for an Ascension in a way, the described effect of all realms ascend at the same time is less of an issue.

So what we probably want to do in the next server is to shorten the first island to one week. In order to not shorten the game in a whole, we want to extend the time on island 3 by one week. This way we think we can integrate the concept in the natural game flow.

The point that - with an abundance of resources - building time is the essential restriction in the game and leads to p2w in our point of view is not the result of the Moon Phase restrictions (those tend to limit the resources long term) but rather that we got rid of the realm member limitation at the beginning of the game. This leads to more expansion of the realm and with that more Supplies. Also, there where more players, who could upgrade those supplies and with each additional level more players benefited by the increased production of supply. So in the next round to get this right, we will adjust the Supplies in a way, resources are less abundant and with that building, time will be less of a bottleneck.

We hope with those changes the game experience will be a lot better in the upcoming rounds. We are sorry for the things that did not work out in this round already like intended and we are extremely thankful for your engagement and all the effort and heart you put into the game.

Please believe us - we do the same on the development side and try to stay in close touch with you guys. We hope you see that we communicate as closely with you as we can and much closer as we experienced in the games we play. We think this is a strong bond and we have already achieved so much together.

While you naturally concentrate on the changes which improve your vision of gameplay of Arkheim, we as developer need to also keep the whole audience in mind. If we only concentrate on one of the sides (no-matter if midcore or hardcore) Arkheim will not have a future. But we are convinced we will be able to find a setup together that works for you guys as well as for less engaged players. The Ascension system is a strong tool to achieve that.

You guys have a much greater impact on the game development than you might recognize and we are sure the game will work out for you on the long run if you stay patient. We know from our experience in other games that it can be frustrating when you think that the developers do not fix something that annoys you. But as developers, we have to say its not as easy as it looks like from the outside and there are tons of things to consider & to take care of you can't see directly. We can just promise that we really take every feedback we get into our consideration how to improve the game and have also a lot of new ideas to bring into it.

The development of Arkheim will not just stop with this round - we're searching for a solid base mechanics to add then additional features on top of it.

So please keep giving your feedback and you be maybe a bit more patient with us. We are sure we can build a really great competitive game in the long run, together!

your Arkheim Team

• The presence of defensive artillery added tactical variety to the game. Removing it is another step towards simplification and primitivization. As a member of a realm that has one of the highest PVP scores, I didn't notice that the presence of defensive artillery would bring a significant imbalance to the game. Maybe just a little. As a last resort, you could reduce the protection bonus from 50% to 35%.

Another issue that has already been raised is the complete openness of information. In my opinion, if you removed the details of the composition of the enemy's troops, up to the number and composition of the army, and left information about the total capacity of the army (let's say 111 K), it would benefit the game.

• This wasn't a problem last round because ressources were a limit but now only building time is the only limit, because every (smart) player went to island 2 with ~ 5m ressources saved up.

I wonder what a smart (poor) player would have done with 5m ressources but 8h building time ^_^

• Thanks for being so informative and open. I could go into much more with what OP and you wrote, but atm only this sparks enough intentive for me to write something.

I can understand the reason to reduce the need of tedious busy work of dismantling any hostile realm for benefit. However I believe this problem is intertwined with how towers and vision work in this game. ATM you would already have to raid any tower that holds a decent amount of orbs, and because everyone has access to a full map at each time, you can also quite literally place an attack order on each and every single tower your opponent has. This, already, is tons of busy work, for both the attacker and the defender. And its not a joy to coordinate, not to mention the looks of the mobile UI when 30 or more arrows are floating around the map.

Since you mentioned tower upgrades as well, wouldn't it be way less time consuming, enjoyable and even add strategic depth if you could focus PVP on a smaller amount of possible objectives? Like in a traditional strategy game? I believe tower upgrades could be the key to this, as depending on the upgrades they could add much more value to a tower and therefore make it a target worthwhile fighting for.

A basic example would be expensive towers that grand a realm considerable benefits but are also prone of being destroyed, like a portal.

Easy examples:

“Icon of Gods” or whatever. A tower/building that vastly boost orb production of the realm.

“A tower of Fortunes” or whatever. A tower/building that gives all realm supplies a 20% bonus production.

"Eye of the Ravager". A tower/building that grants friendly warlords increased speed on doing offensive actions.

You could also try and implement a building based on the winner of the last round, this way each round winner would be immortalized by an ingame mechanic. And this will surely help to further motivate realms to win.

Based on the happenings of last realm, for example.

"The treachery of the Titans"

Basically something that is so powerful that no one ever wants his competition to own something like these over a long period of days. A strong reason to attack an enemy realm, not to gain value in terms of orbs, but simply to deny a possible edge. As with every feature something like this would also have downsides, such as what if a strong realm is spawned at the edge the map with no competition and can basically stockpile these towers with no opposition and so on. But no systems is without flaws. And if there is a slight chance of abusing, someone will always abuse it. However this is something that is extremely missing in Arkheim at this moment.

If you are afraid of this, you could just make these buildings a global objective, such as the ascension gate for example.

Otherwise there are definitely current ingame mechanics that need to be improved or overhauled. Mechanics that slow down snowballing, but doesn't prevent it in its entirety are needed. Snowballing is just out of hand atm. Its too hard for small and less organized realms to coordinate a proper defence if you literally have dozens of objectives to defend. There is nothing inherently wrong with stronger realms destroying smaller realms, but I believe it is way too lucrative and easy at this moment.

In a basic effort you could for example try to adjust the possible orb gain depending on the war potential of both realms.

If the realms have even war potential both realms would get +50% orbs from each other. If there is a considerable difference you would have to adjust the slider from -100% to even +100%. This would give smaller realms an incentive to try and attack larger realms, or even bend together and it would give stronger realms more reason to look out for an equal opponent, as time is of the essence.

However there are literally dozens of balance ideas floating around from veterans of X4 games. In the end you have to find a solution that you believe fits Arkheim and is moderate enough in terms of the required production effort to implement.

• I think the game still lacks more unique characteristics to each race, at the same time it tries to make both races different, they are still very similar, looking the whole picture all troops bonus and WL abilities are the same, just changing the order of it. So in my opinion this makes hard to balance and also create a unique playstyle for each race. Also it makes hard to add more depth and include new races to the game, afterall, how would it be? another mix of the same bonuses and WL abilities?
    Each faction should have a very unique characteristic and the game should be balanced around this, if we take travian legends for instance, we know teutons are more agressive and good at farming, gauls are good at deffense but yet they have fast cavalry to farm if the player want to, romans have more solid units but expensive, the new races also entered balanced and yet with specific atributes like egypts are good in production and deffense, huns are beasts attking and making war in the front... but yet, a player can decide whether making deffensive or offensive playstyle.

So maybe the solution to create a balancing element in the game and also giving each race a speciality would be giving each different sets of WLs abilities and troops bonuses. For instance, elves has a theme of being good at cavalry, so their WL could be a lot faster and they could have cheap and not so strong units for fast raids, some WL with ability to have bonus attk to missions shorter than 1h, or bonus stats for stacks with less than X strength, and so on... dwarves could be good at having robust armies but slow moviments, and WL abilities to support this idea.
    This concept would make possible to add races with other papers in the game, like a race with a better set for deffense, or a race with support ability like, speeding up the stack moviment in the map, or making support towers moviment stealth, and so on, inifinite possibilities.

That way a solid realm would need to have deffensive and offensive races, and also each unique element could be used to balance the whole game. This would give the game more depth and strategic possibilities, not to mention the opening to expand and grow.

• I think the game still lacks more unique characteristics to each race, at the same time it tries to make both races different, they are still very similar, looking the whole picture all troops bonus and WL abilities are the same, just changing the order of it. So in my opinion this makes hard to balance and also create a unique playstyle for each race. Also it makes hard to add more depth and include new races to the game, afterall, how would it be? another mix of the same bonuses and WL abilities?
    Each faction should have a very unique characteristic and the game should be balanced around this, if we take travian legends for instance, we know teutons are more agressive and good at farming, gauls are good at deffense but yet they have fast cavalry to farm if the player want to, romans have more solid units but expensive, the new races also entered balanced and yet with specific atributes like egypts are good in production and deffense, huns are beasts attking and making war in the front... but yet, a player can decide whether making deffensive or offensive playstyle.

So maybe the solution to create a balancing element in the game and also giving each race a speciality would be giving each different sets of WLs abilities and troops bonuses. For instance, elves has a theme of being good at cavalry, so their WL could be a lot faster and they could have cheap and not so strong units for fast raids, some WL with ability to have bonus attk to missions shorter than 1h, or bonus stats for stacks with less than X strength, and so on... dwarves could be good at having robust armies but slow moviments, and WL abilities to support this idea.
    This concept would make possible to add races with other papers in the game, like a race with a better set for deffense, or a race with support ability like, speeding up the stack moviment in the map, or making support towers moviment stealth, and so on, inifinite possibilities.

That way a solid realm would need to have deffensive and offensive races, and also each unique element could be used to balance the whole game. This would give the game more depth and strategic possibilities, not to mention the opening to expand and grow.

in general i agree with you, but rebalanced all units and faction perks is a huge undertaking. I would suggest to start with the warlords first, by making the warlords of both factions fundamentally different from each other, giving them unique faction perks for starters.

Also please improve the artwork, it looks very generic and in some cases even pixelated. A bit like placeholder art tbh.

• Hello Twelve,

first of all, thank you for your feedback!

It's appreciated that you took a moment to read the post and even more appreciated that you actually answered. In addition you also addressed all the major points I made.

I'm positively flabbergasted.

And this is the reason I'll now also take my time to answer you in an appropriately detailed fashion.

Cost&time efficiency is, of course, a very important one for a unit, but its not the only one. Our goal is that for every unit there is a valid reason to build them.

Cost&time efficiency is my favorite subject. I am glad you started with it.

Your basic goal that every unit should have a valid reason to be build under certain conditions is applaudable and is shared by me.

I am very excited because that means we do agree in principle.

I know that I am inflicting harm to my realm with the next paragraph I'm writing but considering how much they have already learned by observing our TG-composition it is but a drop in the ocean. And it is still a beta after all, so keeping the best way to play the game secret is not helpful if we actually want a positive change to happen.

One of the major reasons why we dominated last round was that every single player in the realm exclusively build "trash" (t1 units) in all their barracks, stables and armories.

The most prominent example from last round who did it differently was Creed (TITANS) who obviously built a lot of SC (one of the worst units in the game, maybe THE worst).

And what happened? I don't know how much attention you paid to the server-deciding war last round, but it went as we expected. His WL had by far the most FP whenever he attacked us. But how often was he able to do that? If memory served.. 4 times? Maybe 5? And he really had A LOT of those SC, we were totally amazed and were always delighted when he attacked us with them, knowing how insanely much it hurt him whenever we killed those units.

And the way the fighting system works it just isn't a big enough advantage to have ~30 (max50)% more FP but to have close to 450% fewer units.

A short and concrete example to illustrate the raw numbers I just mentioned.

Imagine someone attacks you with Cerulean/Mollus with 3xSC.

(I don't know how deep you are into the game, so I explain it step by step, please don't feel insulted if you are already aware of all the implications)

Generally speaking that attacker will be by far the strongest WL that is attacking us, under extremely irregular circumstances at least under the top5.

So what do you do? Do you use Trankard with 3xLP? Obviously not. Because you could never even get close to the #1 spot with such a composition. The same holds true with Crystal and also Silk. All three WLs are not able to fight a 3xSC Mollus if he attacks in a big realm-attack. (you could attack solo, and if the cirumstances allow it that would be a very very profitable thing to do indeed, but let's assume we have a 10m vs. 10m fight at hand to keep it simple and "normal".

Okay, so you cannot use LP. What else do you have as a dwarf? Detos and Craters. Detos won't work for the same reason LP don't work (you don't get enough FP to have a slot1 fight with such a WL/composition) but Cratermakers can work. If you attack with a 3x SC Mollus into a 3xCratermaker Paintsmith, you'll cry big time. It is horrible for the Elf.

But now imagine your opponent's realm is organized and skilled enough to realize that you can counter this attacking Mollus way better with an elven WL and he sends a 3xMantis Aurora.

I don't have words to describe how bad such a battle-report would be. (we actually did exactly that against Creed)

It's comparable with bashing a mace-hammer with a horse-only-hammer in Travian terms.

And now you could argue as a counter-argument that you did this on purpose - every unit in the game can be countered by design. And you would be right. But that in itself is a reason to build trash. And another argument is that some units are easier to counter than other. And yes, the stronger the unit the easier it is to counter it. Because it will always be "in the top" of an attacking stack.

For example try to counter a Ruby with 3xBerserkers. Good luck, if we attack with 40 WLs that one will be somewhere in the middle, no chance for you to counter that Ruby. If on the other hand you attack with Ruby 3xBB, you'll get countered faster than you can say "please spare my incredibly expensive and slow building top tier units".

So those are the 2 main reasons why it is utterly inefficient to build top tier units. It doesn't make sense, under NO circumstances. I cannot conceive of a situation in which I'd recommend to our Elves to build SC. Another big secret that many haven't figured out yet is, that you should only use those top tier units defensively (because as I explained above, used offensively against a decent realm they'll just get countered and you get close to zero value out of them)

The situation has to be dire, your realm needs to be the one which gets attacked but in that situation is also doesn't make sense to build SC, because if you are under heavy attack you need to generate FS. You need to be able to equip your warlords!

That means neither in offensive wars nor in defensive ones you want to build SC. There is no time in the game in which you want to build those.

Btw we gave that feedback after the last server and what did Arkheim do? You made them worse than they were before, it's kind of funny. You made them WORSE. The worst unit in the game, how did you change it? You made it even worse.

Either nobody in our realm has understood the game or the person who made that decision did not understand their own game. Those kind of changes lead to the belief that you don't really know what you are doing.

And don't get me started with the 2-week-Moonphase-everything-is-capped-at-lvl11-idea.

Seriously, I don't want to offend you personally or the concrete person/team who made that decision, but that this was so far over the top... and encourages P2W to an absurd level, we knew that from day1. Really, that's not hindsight talking.

We've used more Saphires on day14 than we have used in total the whole last round combined. That's why we get a bit frustrated if you say that your goal was apparently to REDUCE P2W. How can you have that goal and achieve the exact opposite? It is hard for us players to understand and/or believe, I hope you can understand our point of view.

With SE/SC/SP you picked now the late-game / most expensive units.
    Those units provide especially the most Fightingpower per unit. This alone is already a strong motivator for building them. So there should be a job for them in your important battles.

I kind of already covered this. "getting most FP" in itself is not a strong enough incentive to build them. Especially not if you consider for a moment the downside of it - but I already explained that in the chapters above.

---

Hmmm.. I wanted to say way more, especially to the tower stuff and the raiding-tower-topic.

I keep it very brief:

Raiding Towers for resources on the other side is something we actively decided against it, because that would be a major step backwards in our opinion. This would create again the need to microfarm all opponents smaller than you constantly.

I already included a counter-argument to your argument in my first post:
    Include an absolute maximum of possible downgrades per 24h.

You do it at so many place in Arkheim, why not here as well? For example, you can raid for orbs 24/7 but only the first 3 towers you raid from a realm each day get downgraded and you gain res/supplies.

Huge incentive for PvP and no microfarming at all.

---

One of the first things we thought about was increasing the tower range. But this has, unfortunately, some problems.On the one side, you would constantly need to replace your towers to optimize them. We fear this is some quite annoying & tedious grunt work to do.

The way I see it there are 2 different kinds of realms. Realms who plan ahead when they build towers, and realms who don't.

The realms who invest the time and effort to plan ahead won't need to replace and optimize, because they already included that possibility when they first placed the tower.

The realms who don't plan ahead don't care anyway for their inefficient tower-placement, otherwise they would already do it better.

And I don't see either sort of realm getting hurt by such a change. On the contrary, it's a fun and interesting detail to include, especially if you start to "customize" towers.

For example 3 towers in the realm can be upgraded to "every inf supply in range produces +50%" and such. It's fun for the min/max guys who play the game and they get a minor benefit from their effort and for the people who don't care about efficiency now, they will not care if they haven't figured out the 3 best spots in their area to place such a tower, they'll just upgrade the one who has most infantry-supplies in their range at the time the upgrade becomes available.

• Some last words:

While you naturally concentrate on the changes which improve your vision of gameplay of Arkheim, we as developer need to also keep the whole audience in mind.

While you naturally concentrate on the changes which improve your vision of gameplay of Arkheim, we as developer need to also keep the whole audience in mind.

Yes, as a developer you need to keep the whole audience in mind not just the (very) active players you encounter in the forum. Granted.

But honestly, who is more qualified to grasp the repercussions of your ingame changes?

Someone who barely plays the game (I don't know if devs play the game themselves and if they play how seriously they take the game) or someone who plays 8-12 hours a day and has tons of daily communications with like minded players?

I go with a concrete example again, to illustrate my point.

You say yourself that you had 3 major objectives when you decided to include the moonphases.

- reduce p2w

- increase pvp

- make the game less boring (not just pushing production the first 4 weeks)

1. pw2

As we have discussed before, the moonphases increased p2w by at least 200%, maybe more.

=> We could have told you that beforehand, maybe we even did, but did you believe us?

2. increase pvp

I don't know how attentive you observed island1. The moonphases did not increase our desire to fight pvp, for that you need to create an incentive instead of taking other options away. Just because you design the game that nothing else is possible to do, doesn't lead to pvp. Instead we just sat there for 10 days and waited.

=> Well, we decided very early on Island1 that troop-killing is pointless for both parties involved, even the Russians agreed and so we often had 4m troops on our respective borders, but apart from day2 it never gave a clash. Because both sides knew that they would suffer with no benefit. And if the Russians manage to restrain themselves from attacking you know that it really doesn't make any sense to do so.

3. "make the game less boring"

=> we sat there for 10-11 days doing nothing except saving up res for the next island. It's hard to imagine what you could have done what would have made the game more boring.

So on all three objectives you achieved the exact opposite of what you claim your goal was. To different degrees. It sounds harsh and maybe a bit mean, but that's not meant in a personally attacking way, but to keep the facts straight.

Reading your post you sounded honest so I stopped believing you did it on purpose but it is really really frustrating, most players in our realm think that Arkheim has become worse from their prior version. And that despite all the effort and time our Murxies (and others) put into their feedback... ;(

• That is interesting to read. Personally, I am not a fan of any of the current unit perks. They seem rather generic and are pretty much a R/S/P system.

How about they would give every top tier unit a unique perk that fits their purpose? The SC for example could get armour that flat out decreases his damage taken by 1 for each point. Give him 30 armour and he will trade much more cost efficient against trash units and higher units might be more desirable to counter him. He would be immune against t1 trash infantry that way. I mean its a damn fucking big elephant after all. Or give him 50% increased morale damage.

The Sky Piercer could need something like "focus fire", instead of dealing his damage to all units of the enemy warlord, make him auto target the strongest stack of the enemy warlord and it deals 175% of his damage to this single stack. This would make him a good counter to strongly stacked units, without having to use generic stat buffs.

Just simply add more unique traits, maybe even OP stuff to the game. Because that’s where the fun and the experimentation and min/maxing lie. Players want something to look forward to, especially in a semi p2w game. If the best unit you can build is the same at day 1 than it is one month in, it is not exciting.

In theory you can patch the game every mooncycle to nerf/adjust things. Don’t be afraid to do so, it’s a still a beta after all. Balancing a game is usually an intricate task that continues all through cycles. Much longer if a game is played online, as changes could be needed for as long as the game exist.

As for PvP, why not just reduce the number of goblin towers on the map to increase their value. Just pack 3 towers into a single one, increasing their orb value and reduce the overall amount of goblin towers on the map. This might already lead to conflict between Realms as easy to farm orbs will be reduced and the value of a single goblin tower will raise considerably. Usually pvp just happens if either side can gain something of value. In Arkheim there are simply not enough options to gain or deny value over your opponent at this moment. Furthermore if you are afraid that not enough orbs will go around if you decrease goblins, increase the static orb gain by realms, this might also then help to encourage more pvp.

• I cannot believe it took you guys over a week to contact me about this:

https://gyazo.com/35789f9ecfa006e7e67071d98f2e3585

Obviously I was NOT talking about riflemen but BB. That really makes me wonder how few people read that post attentively. sigh.

I corrected the mistake. Everything I wrote was correct, I just had BB in my mind when I wrote it but called them riflemen. Sry.