Chapter 4: The Deal
Eyes closed, tired, items correctly placed, Azrheus opens his eyes. Nothing. A moment passes, nothing happens. Was this a joke? Was he truly forsaken? The writing on the wall began to fade in front of his eyes. Anger, wrath, and frustration boiled over him. He couldn't understand why they hadn't heard him, why they refused to help him, why they - ...
- Azrheus heard coughing.
He wiped his now formed tears, stunned. There, at the bottom of the gilded stairs, stood Ephemera, returned to her original form. His heartbeat again, his mind, back to normal, his strength recovering. The Moons had granted her to him, but he must never speak of this experience. He would keep that promise. Azrheus ran. Those moments felt like a lifetime had passed; each step downwards was a step towards the light, his eternal light.
They embraced, held one another tight, and with haste, began their escape. Remembering the guidance from The Moons, Azrheus led Ephemera through the twists and turns of Arkheims Earth. They exchanged little words; both knew they needed to reach the surface. They were getting so close to freedom they could almost smell it. Fate, however, would deal them a different hand. First came the noises, then figures appeared.
The Priest’s followers had arrived. They had blocked their exit.
They needed to act fast.
In this riddle, we are turning the tables, and you are on the side of the Priests...
You are a prestigious Priest, patrolling with your followers the Sacred Halls (that disbelievers call "The Dungeon").
At first, everything seems quiet and normal as always, and the only thing you see is the lifeless Fallen, obeying the will of the Priest's order, digging their way into even deeper corners of the Sacred Halls. But suddenly... You can hear voices and the sound of people running.
And there you see them. Apparently, an intruder has dared to enter this holy place and used some kind of magic to revive and steal one of the Fallen! How is this even possible? Quickly - you must get them before they can escape!
- Look at the scenario below. It represents Azrheus' and Ephemera's position in the dungeon. They are in the same 'team', while the Priest/bishop and his followers are in the opposing team.
- Your task is to set Azrheus Check-Mate in 3 moves of the yellow team.
Obstacles (Rubble, barricades, and bones)
- Obstacles are blocking the way and cannot be stepped on nor can they be passed.
- The knight can jump over the obstacle fields (he cannot step on them though).
- Obstacle fields protect Azrheus and other figures from each other, so as long as there is an obstacle between Azrheus and an enemy, it does not count as Check.
- Azrheus moves equivalent to a king.
- Ephemera moves equivalent to a queen.
- The Priest and his followers move as indicated in the graphic below.
You can move only the figures of the Priest and his followers. Azrheus and Ephemera move automatically as indicated below:
- If Azrheus is in Check, he will automatically move out of Check (in your preferred direction).
If an opposing figure is in Ephemera's reach, she will automatically attack and eliminate it.
- If more than one figure is in her reach simultaneously, she will always attack the figure closest to her.
- If none of the above applies, Azrheus and Ephemera don't move, and it is your turn again.
- Azrheus' and Ephemera's moves don't count towards your 3 moves.
- You (the yellow team) start.
Submit your answer by posting all moves in the order they occur (including the moves of Azrheus and Ephemera). And give your in-game name and server where you play, if possible.
- C5 --> D7
- A7 --> D7
- ... and so on
Once you figure out and indicate the correct order of the moves, in addition to your answer, you can add another post describing in words how this chase that just occurred on the chessboard would look like in the dungeon from a story-telling perspective.
* This is not mandatory and will not increase your chances of winning
💎 Prizes 💎
- 10 randomly selected participants with a correct answer will win.
Out of these 10 winners, one extremely lucky one is going to win our Grand prize: a T-shirt, string bag, lanyard, and a mousepad.
- If you already won a merchandise pack previously, you cannot win another one. Instead, you can freely choose a friend who will receive the merchandise package, or turn this package into 6.000 Sapphires.
- The other 9 winners will each receive 500 Sapphires on the accounts they named in their answer.
- You have until Monday 29th of November, 2021, 23:59 CET.
Your answer will not be visible to other players.
The greatest of luck!
Your Arkheim Team